Finding a quality chair for an individual with MND requires careful consideration of their specific needs and profile. Head control and positioning is one of the biggest challenges. This starts from the pelvis, which needs to act as a stable base of support.
While there is no ‘one size fits all’ approach, there are some key features of Seating Matters chairs that combat the symptoms associated with MND. These include:
- Tilt in Space (45 degrees): When the entire chair shifts in position on its frame as one unit, while maintaining the angle of the individual’s hips, knees and ankles.
- Independent Back Angle Recline: Adjustment in angle of the back of the chair, while the body remains stationary.
- Adjustable Head, Neck & Shoulder Sections: Increasing support as required, in line with the degenerative nature of MND.
- Adjustable Arm Rests, Seat Width, Seat Depth, Foot Plate Height & Back Height
- Medium to High Pressure Management Cushion
The benefits of a Seating Matters chair for a patient with MND may include improved postural support, pressure relief and redistribution, improved breathing, increased mobility, heightened independence, fall prevention, reduced pain, and significantly improved overall quality of life.